Saturday, November 04, 2006

Oh ya! I went to Churchill.

This lady was crazy, once you got her talking there was literally no stop. Cory met some relatives of hers, that work at loewens. Apparently the family refers to her as "machine gun".My friend George. We met him on the train up and ran into him daily in Churchill. He's from Australia, touring around the world. Ya, he's pretty much been everywhere.
Sleeping the Via train way. Most comfortable travel I have ever had.
I think our conductor wishes it was still the 1800's. He was quite the cowboy.
Welcoming us back from a break in a northern town.
Cory didn't get much sleep on the way up. Greesy and tired, he's ready for churchill.
And just like that forty hours have passed and we've arrived.
The arctic landscape. Day one tundra buggy.
Our first animal of the trip (besides the black bear, and fox seen from the train). This arctic hare was really chill, we photographed him and moved on without him changing positions.
Then we came across our first polar bear. He was chillin' on the shores of the hudson bay. Five buggy's gathered and he could care less.
He did move a little to eat some grass.
" That bit there looks quiet good."
This shot of Steph looks like she's at the helm of a ship plotting our course.
I forget this girls name, she was on the train ride in. I know she's a german exchange student studying humans impact on polar bears, but I forget her name. Anyway, here she is bringing supplies to the buggy on day two.
Polar bear number two was not interested. He mulled around a bit, but stayed this far away, then sat down in the willows and disappeared.
Our crew plus at the end of day two.
Winter moved into town with a force. The winds were awesome, like cross the icy street with one small push. I think they were 80km/hr gusting to 115.


Cory on the main drag trying to dodge flying shingles.
Hey I've got an idea, lets all pack into the tiny train station then wait on the floor for like five hours. Cory and Steph at hour number four, Cory didn't get much sleep all week so he's in pretty rough shape. Steph took the wait like a troopper, my back and hips were killing me, and I'm childless. Don't even get me started on the discomfort of a spontanious four hour bus ride from Thompson to the Pas. Ya, a freight train derailed.
Jody on the other hand loved waiting in the Churchill train station. Cory laying down some knowledge back in southern Manitoba.

So there it is my trip to Churchill. We only saw three bears, but those are wild animals truly awesome creatures. We saw one on the bus ride back to town from the tundra buggy. He was huge! Just walking along the side of the road, that was pretty exciting. But, he too had little interest in us, and peaced out as soon as we pulled the bus over. I know now the next time I go back will be in late october/early november, and I'll fly or take the train from Thompson. But, until then I regret nothing.

9 Comments:

Blogger melissaplett said...

It IS early November. Does that mean you're going there again soon?

7:09 PM  
Blogger Sandra Plett said...

Yay! Thanks for this post...although I am super-excited about your trip to see Chelsea, I WAS kind of curious about your trip up north. Sweet photos...and it looked like you guys had a great time!

3:03 PM  
Blogger melissaplett said...

If you were so curious you could have always asked!!

11:02 AM  
Blogger Anthony Plett said...

Easy girls, take it easy. Remember, "when there's love in the home".

4:57 AM  
Blogger Sandra Plett said...

I'm not even going to touch Melissa's comment...but I do want to point out that the crazy woman in your first photo kind of reminds me of a cross between Aunty Gladys and Mom...but mostly Aunty Gladys!

5:19 PM  
Blogger melissaplett said...

haha! I'm glad we found a common ground there sister. I 2nd that comment.

8:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whoa, I'm all over the web here and didn't even know until tonight. Man was I tired and greasy on that trip. When my mom saw me you could tell she thought I was hideous. Her precious little son all lubed up with bags under his eyes. I get oily fast ok...

8:15 PM  
Blogger Cory & Steph said...

Definitely a trip to remember - I've never seen Cory so greasy before. Didn't diminish my love for him at all...I may have kept a greater distance than usual though.
We can't forget the wild laughing Inuit woman who lived in our 2.5 star hotel (owned by one, Dick Hunter...get it?) Anyways, I digress - her laugh was straight out of a horror movie. By the end of the trip, both Jodie and Anth had that laugh down. Good on ya!

7:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh those are some great pics! I gotta say: Cory kind of reminds me of a silly cartoon character in the Greasy train pic and in the blowing ice/sleet pic.
And speaking of the sleet pic... does anyone else think that the angle of that shot makes Cory's right leg look like it is bending forward at a very unnatural angle??

Maybe it is just me.
A'ight, HC out.

9:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home